Monday, March 28, 2011

Northport expects more traffic in 2011

Northport (Malaysia) Bhd, the port operating subsidiary of NCB Holdings Bhd, expects to handle 3.5 million twenty-foot-equivalent units (TEUs) this year against 3.3 million TEUs recorded last year. 

NCB Holdings Chairman Tun Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid said the group was optimistic of achieving the target based on improved global trade and the country's manufacturing output. 

The group will spend RM300 million for the expansion of Northport's terminal facility in response to increased demand, he told reporters after NCB Holdings annual general meeting here today. 

The new facility, to be constructed in the second-half of the year and completed by 2013, would increase Northport's capacity towards the vicinity of 5.5 million TEUs. 

Meanwhile, Ahmad Sarji said the NCB group has submitted a proposal to the government to renew Northport's licence which was due to expire in 2013. 

"We submitted this proposal and would like the authority to see how we operate. We hope the early submission of this proposal and with the authorities coming over to see our facilities will help accelerate the decision making process and thereby give us a good lead time for expansion," he added. 

He also said the RM300 million facility expansion was indicative of the group's earnest to pursue its business. 

"We hope this thing (investment) will add to our merit in persuading the authority to consider us favourably for the renewal of our lease," he said

No comments: